Also called Monte Gallo, it was the first inhabited part of the city between the 6th and 5th centuries B.C. and already from the 1st century A.D. it contained some of Verona’s largest buildings, such as the temple of Giove Ottimo Massimo, later destroyed, and the Roman Theatre, today one of the oldest and important examples of ancient Roman architecture that exists in Verona today.
The Colle – hill – also featured in the city’s history in Medieval times, when Theodoric king of the Ostrogoths had a palace built right on the top. A succession of rulers lived in this house including Alboin King of the Lombards and Berengar Marquis of Friuli.
For its dominating position above the city it was chosen by the Austrians for their Castel San Pietro barracks, built between 1854 and 1856 in neo-Romanesque style.